Location: Kingston, ON
The Industrial Mechanic is responsible for installing or dismantling machinery and equipment according
to company plans, blueprints, and other diagrams. This will be accomplished through the safe and
effective use of hoists, lift trucks, hand tools, and power tools. This position also requires that the
Industrial Mechanic troubleshoot and diagnose mechanical, hydraulic, or pneumatic problems with
associated equipment. The Industrial Mechanic is also responsible for repairing malfunctioning
equipment, such as motors, pumps, valves, controls, and other machines. The individual is required to
be available on-call in order to aid with repairs to the plant outside of their normal working hours. The
Industrial Mechanic is also responsible for performing routine maintenance and inspections to the
- Inspect machinery as it arrives, unload the parts, and then assemble them with the safe and
effective use of hand and power tools.
- Relocate unassembled equipment as it arrives, positioning the machinery and pieces that need
to be assembled, using hoists, dollies, and trucks.
- Interpret blueprints and schematics to determine work procedures.
- Dismantle machines by using hammers, crowbars, wrenches, and other hand or power tools.
- Where necessary, construct a foundation for new equipment, using building materials, such as
wood, cement, and steel.
- Align machines and equipment during installation, using hoists, jacks, squares, ruler,
micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Use a lathe to grind, file, and turn machine parts to match the appropriate specifications.
- Assemble all machinery and equipment by bolting, welding, riveting, or fastening them to pre-
- Adhere to assembly and installation instructions set forth in vendor manuals and specifications.
- Repair any problems associated with new equipment.
- Fabricate new machine parts if original parts are missing or damaged.
- Identify and correct any problems found in machines, equipment, or processes in order to
- Ensure that safety policies, quality standards, and standard operating procedures are followed.
- Perform preventative maintenance once the machines and equipment are put into operation.
- Complete all paperwork as required.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with local, national, and international standards and legislation.
- Perform regular inspections of the facilities and perform any general maintenance required.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year apprenticeship program certified by the Ministry of Colleges, Training and
Universities, or 5 years direct experience as a Industrial Mechanic.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or one year community college.
- Licensed journeyman, or class "A" certification.
- Experience in moving, assembling, disassembling, troubleshooting, and repairing various types
of machinery and equipment.
- Ability to detect, isolate, and identify irregularities and malfunctions in machinery and
- Able to fabricate new parts to replace defective parts during machine setup, maintenance, or
- Thorough knowledge of load bearing capabilities of the equipment to be installed, assembled, or
- Demonstrated aptitude in reading and interpreting blueprints, diagrams, schematics, drawings,
manuals, and specifications.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Accurate and highly analytical.
- Experience in supervising and mentoring new employees
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Travel may be required.
- Available on-call to work on nights and weekends
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 100 lbs.
- Manual dexterity required to use power and hand tools.
- Frequently noisy working environment.
- Overtime as required
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Development and Continual Learning
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Decision making and Judgement
- Operating Equipment
- Providing Consultation
- Ethics and Integrity
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Team Work
Benefits of Working for Li-Cycle:
- High impact work: as a core member of the team, you have the opportunity to take a primary leadership role and make a significant impact
- Global environmental impact: we are a clean technology company with a mission to reduce CO2 emissions globally to ensure a sustainable future for the environment
- Passionate team: we are pushing boundaries and are passionate about everything we do
Interested candidates should apply to Li-Cycle directly by emailing their interest in the position, along
with a copy of their resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only candidates selected for an
interview will be contacted.
Li-Cycle is on a mission to leverage its innovative solution to address an emerging and urgent global challenge. Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are increasingly powering our world in automotive, industrial/utility/residential energy storage, and consumer electronic applications. The world needs improved technology and supply chain innovations to better recycle these batteries and to meet the rapidly growing demand for critical and scarce battery-grade materials.
Li-Cycle Technology™ is a low cost, safe, environmentally friendly process that can recycle all types of lithium-ion batteries. It can do so with an unparalleled recovery rate of up to 100% of all materials. Li-Cycle’s industry-leading innovations make it uniquely positioned to support a key element of the growing international movement towards zero carbon technologies as part of the circular economy.
For more information, you can view Li-Cycle’s corporate video here: